Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Greed.......Forever Discontented

I received this in a short inspirational email forward from a friend:

Beware, and be on your guard against every form of greed; for not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions….Luke 12:15.

Let’s take a brief look at greed. Practically speaking, greed is an inordinate desire for more, an excessive, unsatisfied hunger to possess. Like an untamed beast, greed grasps, claws, reaches, clutches, and clings – stubbornly refusing to surrender. The word enough is not in this beast’s vocabulary. Akin to envy and jealousy, greed is nevertheless distinct. Envy wants to have what someone else possesses. Jealousy want to possess what it already has. But greed is different. Greed is forever discontented and therefore insatiably craving, longing, wanting, striving for more, more, more……….

That’s the whole point of greed. You’ll want more and more of something that really isn’t good for you. And in the getting of it, you’ll suffer the painful consequences. That is why Jesus warns, “Beware, Be on your guard. This thing is like a cancer – an insatiable leech that will suck the life right out of you.” Enough will never be enough.

Beware. *

It made me realize I am being greedy..........but not in the way you might think. I am happy to report I am free of envy and jealousy, the Lord has blessed me with a beautiful humble home, a husband so wonderful that I cannot put into words, and more than met my needs in life. I am thankful for the health our family has. I don't envy people driving brand new cars, I am thankful that I have a 12-year old car with no problems and with air conditioning. I don't envy people with children, I am thankful that the Lord has filled my heart with love for all around me. I don't envy people with more money in their bank accounts, I thank the Lord for all those times (every single month) that we can pay our bills and have some left over for fun............I realized upon reading her email though, that I HAVE been greedy.

The things I want "more" of are not material things, oddly enough it's things more esoteric things which make me "happy" such as friendships, diversion, gardening.........knitting lately (it's my new obsession, and I never do anything halfway!). I have been very "discontented" in some of these areas and I know now how wrong that was!

Until I received that email, I had not considered those my discontentment in those areas to fall under the category of greed, but I believe now they do.

Merriam-Webster defines greed as "a selfish and excessive desire for more of something (as money) than is needed"......though fellowship with others IS important, and I do want to cultivate Christian friendships........hopefully knitters ;o)......I believe we should always e aware of the things (be they material, substances, business, people, activities, etc.) which tend to draw us farther away from God.

NOT that any of those things are bad in themselves, but we must always start our day in God's word and put on our armor.

*Chuck Swindoll

No comments:

Post a Comment