Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Sodom (& Gomorrah's) Sexual Sin Merely a Symptom of Greater Problem

As always, Dr. Chuck Missler (Khouse.org) brings to the surface facts which both enlighten, teach and edifies us!!!!!!!! In session 3 of the downloaded version, his study on the book of Romans [listen online free: radio show Romans 1-2 pt. 4] he shows that in actuality Sodom's (and by implication also Gomorrah's [my statement, not his]) amoral sexual practices were NOT in reality their downfall, but rather a symptom of a greater problem..........one which we, in the opulence of our comfortable lifestyles - are living in right now.

This is explained when God speaks in Ezekiel 16:49-50 (NASB version):
49"Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had (B)arrogance, (C)abundant food and (D)careless ease, but she did not help the (E)poor and needy.

50"Thus they were haughty and committed (F)abominations before Me Therefore I (G)removed them when I saw it.

The KJV declares it even more clearly: "pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness"

So by this example we are to live with a heavenly perspective, not an earthly one.........beware of being too comfortable, which leads to pride and arrogance. Be not slothful or idle AND do not forget those less fortunate. James 1:27 ties in well stating what, in God's sight, religion REALLY is: "Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world."

It reminds me of one of my favorite Proverbs (30:7-9)
7Two things I asked of You, Do not refuse me before I die:
8
Keep deception and lies far from me, Give me neither poverty nor riches; Feed me with the (A)food that is my portion,
9That I not be (B)full and deny (C)You and say, "Who is the LORD?" Or that I not be (D)in want and steal, And (E)profane the name of my God.

Note: Perhaps the other cities followed the example of Sodom, and were not quite to the extent as Sodom. Destroyed were 4 cities: Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah, and Zeboim (see Deuteronomy 29:23). Undestroyed were neaby Zoar & Lasha. Zoar (also named Bela in Gen. 14:2 & 8 ) - would seem to have been in the crosshairs as well, if not for the fact that God granted Lot to flee there, thus sparing it (Gen. 19:21-22). Lasha described as nearby in Gen. 10:12 (is not said to be destroyed. [both Zoar & Lasha's exact locations are unknown to us at this time but were both probably located East of the Jordan River].

As Billy Graham said many years ago "If God doesn't judge America soon, He will have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah"...History repeats itself. It is important to study what led to such a downfall. Who is it that said "Those ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it"??????

No comments:

Post a Comment